Royal Australian Nursing Corps Memorial
Sydney, Australia

A plaque commemorating the contribution of the Royal Australian Nursing Corps, originally formed in 1898, and seeing service caring for the sick and wounded service personal in essentially all areas of conflict during the subsequent 110+ years. This plaque is found in the Nurses Walk of The Rocks area in Sydney. 

The Rocks area is adjacent to the western side of Circular Quay and contains many historic building dating from the 1800s. The Nurses Walk has its origins in the earliest days of settlement when ill ship's crew were taken to a tent hospital established by Captain Arthur Phillip, RN, the first Governor of the new colony of New South Wales and commander of the First Fleet which arrived in Sydney Harbour in 1788.


Close-up of the nurses and crest.


Close up of the text on the memorial.

(All photos and tex courtesy of Peter F. Williams)
© 2009 Peter F. Williams all rights reserved


Page published June 28, 2009