Miranda War Memorial
Miranda, NSW, Australia

The Miranda War Memorial located at the southern boundary of Seymour Shaw Park on Central Road, Miranda in southern Sydney. This memorial was unveiled in 1918 and is crafted from local sandstone blocks with a single inlaid marble plaque listing those from the Miranda area who served during the Great War. Brass badges are fastened on each of the four sides, one each for the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces, the Royal Australian Navy, the Royal Australian Air Force and the Merchant Navy. The memorial was originally located in the grounds of the old Miranda (Central) Public School and relocated to its current position in 1968.  A statue of a WW1 Australian soldier, typical of memorials erected shortly after WW1, was apparently removed shortly after the unveiling and its present whereabouts is currently unknown.

Another view of the Miranda War Memorial.

Close-up of the names of local men who served in the Great War.
(All photos and text courtesy of Peter F. Williams)
© 2009 Peter F. Williams all rights reserved

Page published May 7, 2011