USS General A. E. Anderson AP-111
Message Board

Jan. 22, 2017

I sailed with my family on the "Anderson" in Nov. 1956 to Yokohama and couldn't wait to dock in Yokohama, although I did enjoy the trip across the Pacific. I was convinced the Navy was not for me even though my step-dad was career Navy. So, I became a U.S. Marine assigned to an Air Wing, VMF-233, which later became VMA-233, which is now a Helicopter squadron in NAS Norfolk, VA. I graduated from Yokohama American High School in 1958.

Marshall Hart
Lakeland, Florida

Jan. 12, 2016

My father, Johnnie B. Hysell, sailed out of San Francisco, CA to Letye in the Philippine Islands in April 1945. He often spoke of the trip and several things always stood out in his story. The sheer number of soldiers on the ship (10,000?) was always mentioned, including the fact that he knew a cousin was on board, but could never locate him. He received the news of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's death on the voyage, which stunned everyone. 

Perhaps the most interesting point he made was that the ship was reported sunk by the Japanese when they were at the equator. They first laughed about it, since they were still very much afloat. However, later someone pointed out that this was probably bad news in disguise, since it probably meant that the enemy indeed knew their approximate location and the 'news' might be simply premature - eventually to occur when their specific location was found. That brought about a much more somber mood.

His final impression on the ship was the morning that they sailed into Leyte Gulf. The sea was filled with wreckage of military equipment of every kind, from horizon to horizon. This was evidently left from the destruction at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. I was able to provide a framed photograph of the ship to him as a Christmas gift, which he much appreciated. He died on 11 November 1999 in Huntington, WV.

Phil Hysell
Louisville, Kentucky

Dec. 20, 2015

I was on the Andy from March 52 to Feb 56. I was an RM3. My preference was the mid-watch nearly every night between those dates. Captain Fowler was skipper the first couple of years. He had a large photo of his exceptionally pretty daughter hanging on the wall of his cabin, and I visited every chance I got (delivering messages, of course) to get his signature on radio messages. Of course I stepped in far enough to look at her every time. My initials are N.S. Phillipson, and when asked, when I first went on board, what the N.S. stood for. I jokingly said Nancy Sue. That horrible name stuck with me nearly my entire ride on the Andy.

N. Scott Phillipson

Feb. 16, 2015

I was on the USS Gen. A. E. Anderson TAP 111 in January 1957 as a Hospital Corpsman on the trip referred to by by R. Rinninger in his message on March 2, 2014. It is ironic that I remember that trip since there was an Air Force corpsman/medic on that trip that I went to school with and he helped us in the sick bay. Over the years I have run across several people with similar stories. The Anderson was a one of the better duty stations. It could get hectic especially in rough weather with up to 4,000 troops below decks getting sick and busting their shins and mashing fingers on the hatches. Wishing all Fair Winds and a Following Sea.

Gil Lowery
Emerald Isle, North Carolina

Mar. 2, 2014

I recently discovered that my father, a Private in the 339th Infantry was aboard the Anderson when it left for Europe Dec. 24, 1943.  Unfortunately he was subsequently killed in Tremensuoli, Italy on May 12th 1944.  Without my being aware of my father passage on the Anderson, I boarded her early in 1957, I believe it was January and went to Okinawa via another island where we picked up a bunch of Marines, I was Air Force.  I just recently discovered that my father and I had both been aboard the U.S.S. A. E. Anderson we were just 12 years and three weeks apart.

R. Renninger

May 20, 2013

In July 1948, as an apprentice seaman in the USNR, I got orders to the USS Gen. A. E. Anderson (AP-111).  I got aboard her at the Oakland Army Base, CA.  I rode her to Honolulu and then to Apra Harbor, Guam.  We unloaded and loaded, troops and military dependants at both locations.  My duties consisted of chipping paint, spending watches in the shaft alley, taking readings on the refers in the auxiliary gang, spending watches in the electronics repair shop.  Also I spent a two hour watch on the bow, "Looking for the Mail Buoy!"  If at all possible, I would like to know the name of the Commanding Officer of the Gen. Anderson at the time that I was onboard. 

LCDR Gerry Patten, USN (Ret)

Reply 1
May 22, 2013

The C.O. was Captain John F. Newman, Jr.

Michael W. Pocock

To post a message, comment or reply please email the webmaster.
All replies will be forwarded to the original sender.

Class Overview
Message Board
Page published May 6, 2012